Kitchens of the Great Midwest, by J. Ryan Stradal
Tuesday, August 1 @ 7:00 p.m.
Kitchens of the Great Midwest, about a young woman with a once-in-a-generation palate who becomes the iconic chef behind the country's most coveted dinner reservation.
When Lars Thorvald's wife, Cynthia, falls in love with wine--and a dashing sommelier--he's left to raise their baby, Eva, on his own. He's determined to pass on his love of food to his daughter--starting with pureed pork shoulder. As Eva grows, she finds her solace and salvation in the flavors of her native Minnesota. From Scandinavian lutefisk to hydroponic chocolate habaneros, each ingredient represents one part of Eva's journey as she becomes the star chef behind a legendary and secretive pop-up supper club, culminating in an opulent and emotional feast that's a testament to her spirit and resilience.
Each chapter in J. Ryan Stradal's startlingly original debut tells the story of a single dish and character, at once capturing the zeitgeist of the Midwest, the rise of foodie culture, and delving into the ways food creates community and a sense of identity. By turns quirky, hilarious, and vividly sensory, Kitchens of the Great Midwest is an unexpected mother-daughter story about the bittersweet nature of life--its missed opportunities and its joyful surprises. it marks the entry of a brilliant new talent.
Prefer to listen to a book instead? You can be "hands free" and listen to a book while you drive, clean, garden, the possibilities are endless!
Albany Public Library card holders have FREE access to thousands of audiobooks in Library2Go. Download the FREE Overdrive Software to begin your listening adventure. A list of compatible devices to listen to your book selection can be found on the Library2Go website. On the Library2Go webpage there are instructions for using Library2Go.
Do you have a ebook reader? Library2Go also offers books to download to selected ebook readers as well.
You can find a link to this FREE service on our library website, http://library.cityofalbany.net.
Another available option is Project Gutenberg. There you can download the book onto your computer, or ebook reader , Kindle, and more! Click on this link to explore your options! http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/140
Previous Book Club Titles (available for checkout as a book club kit)
- The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu, by Joshua Hammer
- Orhan's Inheritance, by Aline Ohanesian
- Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance
- The Life We Bury, by Allen Eskens
- The Golden Spruce, by John Vaillant
- Be Frank with Me, by Julia Clairborne Johnson
- Five Days at Memorial, by Sheri Fink
- We Love You, Charlie Freeman, by Kaitlynn Greenidge
- How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents, by Julia Alvarez
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver
- Broken for You, by Stephanie Kallos
- A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson
- Beautiful Ruins, by Jess Walter
- The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey, by Rinker Buck
- Go Set a Watchman, by Harper Lee
- Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman
- Below Stairs, by Margaret Powell
- Flight Behavior, by Barbara Kingsolver
- Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson
- Station Eleven, by Emily St. John Mandel
- Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's lost Pacific empire, by Peter Stark
- The Aviator's Wife, by Melanie Benjamin
- Songs of Willow Frost, by Jamie Ford
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou
- Code Talker, by Chester Nez
- Claire of the Sea Light, by Edwidge Danticat
- The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain
- Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand
- Tell the Wolves I’m Home, by Carol Rifka Brunt
- Carry the One, by Carol Anshaw
- The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Stedman
- State of Wonder, by Ann Patchett
- Starvation Heights, by Gregg Olsen
- Uncle Tom's Cabin, By Harriet Beecher Stowe
- The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair
- The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
- The Housekeeper and the Professor, By Yoko Ogawa
- The Whistling Season, By Ivan Doig
- Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight, By Alexandra Fuller
- A Yellow Raft in Blue Water, By Michael Dorris
- Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese
- The Crying Tree, by Naseem Rakha
- The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford
- The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson
- The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse, by Louise Erdrich
- Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
- Church of the Dog, by Kaya McLaren
- The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl, By Timothy Egan
- A Thread of Grace, by Mary Doria Russell